golden globes fashion, my top five.


All photos via Just Jared
I'll admit it: I haven't seen any of the films that were nominated for best picture in drama OR comedy. I did see Blue is the Warmest Color, so that was the only film I was really rooting for last night, but unfortunately it lost. So while I was interested in the television wins (Brooklyn Nine-Nine, yes! Amy Poehler, finally!), I was more interested in the red carpet and Tina and Amy's hilarious hosting skills.

Tina and Amy didn't disappoint, as expected, but the fashion did. I noticed that most actresses chose things that were safe, and to those that did not, I was underwhelmed. There were some looks that I thought were so close to getting it right (like Lena Dunham) but just fell flat due to the rest of the styling. Or looks like Caitlin Fitgerald's that was nearly flawless.. but the color killed it for me. Now, I know I'm a biased East coaster, but I like for the celebrity to save the pastels for Spring - though I know it was rather how in LA. But still, it's WINTER!

My top five looks of the night are above. Margot Robbie in Gucci was my favorite of the night, and while I know that this was a safe and simple look, I think that her personality and how she rocked this dress on the red carpet negated that safety. I think that she has definitely been one to watch on the red carpet, and I adore how she rocks the color white. For Allison Williams, I was a bit surprised. She typically has such a "good girl" look so this Alexander McQueen dress was just enough rebellion for her. She is probably one of the only women that could make a McQueen look dainty and innocent. The only issue I have here is that I initially thought this was a black and white look, but it is actually navy and white. Which is why she doesn't quite get my top spot. In third place for the evening, we have Lupita Nyong'o in Ralph Lauren. The cape dress is very, very in, and this bright red is perfect on her. I'll admit, I did not know who she was before this night, but now I won't be able to stop looking her up when more red carpet events come around. I was tempted to make her number one on my list, but I have a feeling she'll be getting best dressed all over the place. Truly flawless. I also love that she stuck with red for everything, from her metallic-shine of lipstick to her shoes.

Emilia Clarke in Proenza Schouler and Sandra Bullock in Prabal Gurung fall toward the end of my "top five" list. Both were so close to being perfect, but something just fell a little bit flat. For Emilia, I love the textured-look of the dress. If it was actually textured in person, I'm not sure, but I love the look that it gave off in pictures. However, the shape is a little bit been-there-done-that and her accessories were very, well, ugly. If she did away with those bracelets and went for a necklace with different, less boring hair, then maybe I'd like the look even more. For Sandra Bullock, I loved the shape of the dress, her hair, and the pops of color despite them being a little bit more suited for spring. What I didn't love was the material. It was a tiny bit 'Sandy goes to prom' for me, but there is something about this look that I can't dismiss. Maybe it's because it's a different, more youthful look that I'm sure many will argue isn't age appropriate, but I can't turn it away. I think had it been less wrinkled, had the belt like on the runway, and in general just looked more sleek, the look would have worked even better.

Some honorable mentions: Audrey Plaza, Mila Kunis, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment