FGF: almond milk.

I'm lactose intolerant. To some, this means that they avoid lactose at all costs, understanding that their body just can't digest it well. To me? This just means that I have come to terms with the stomach aches post eating heaps of cheese or ice cream. But one of my resolutions this year was to really keep my health as a priority, which means trying to cut down on the lactose. I've definitely cut down on my use of cheese (although I did have three slices of pizza for dinner. Not every meal is perfect!) and I've stuck to embracing my body's preference to Greek yogurt because it has significantly less lactose. However, I was still getting stomach aches from milk in my cereal, because I've tried soy milk in the past, and I simply don't like what soy does to my body either. So after having almond milk in some of my drinks from the Pressed Juicery 3-day cleanse, I decided I wanted to try it on its own.

One word: heaven. I don't like the taste of regular milk on its own, so this was definitely a welcome surprise. It made my bran flakes far more enjoyable than usual; I was not even tempted to sprinkle any artificial sweetener on them! I've even been having small glasses of it after dinner to keep from wanting to reach for chocolate. In fact, when I was having a really terrible ice cream craving a few days ago, having a small glass of almond milk was the only thing that could cure it. Unfortunately, I only remembered I had it in the fridge after having cookies and truffles.. Ugh!

The only issue I have with this almond milk was that I forgot to look for unsweetened. Therefore, while this almond milk is delicious, it is more of a 'treat' than the unsweetened version, which is 60 calories less per cup! As long as I keep to very small servings of this, it's okay for now, but I'll definitely keep a closer eye out for the unsweetened version for my cereal or granola in the mornings. Maybe I'll keep a small bit of this around from time to time though, at least until I can find a great replacement for those ice cream cravings..

1 comments:

  1. Almond milk is the best. I try to always have it on hand/if nothing else, at least try to fit in a glass of it before I leave for class and usually end up eating the rest of breakfast later. I also didn't know Greek yogurt had less lactose in it, which explains why it also bothers my stomach less as well

    ReplyDelete