happy anniversary to me!

Today is the first anniversary of being my best self! I know it may sound a little cheesy (or a lot cheesy), but last Valentine’s day was one of my favorite days that I can remember. As someone who is quiet, reserved, and incredibly shy, no one expected me to buy myself one ticket to a concert in the city and actually go. In fact, my mom, worrier that she is, begged me not to. I didn’t take this as something very comforting, in fact, I was a bit offended by it all. At the time, I was 24 years old, was nearing completion of a graduate degree, and felt incredibly irritated that I was told that I “couldn’t go” to a concert that I not only spent a huge amount of money on, but also one that I had been wanting to go to for years!

However, I do sort of understand the reservation. At home, I’m very quiet and do not appear the least bit outgoing. I always commuted to college so I never had a moment in time where I didn’t live beneath the roof of my mother. While I had (and have) friends, I’m incredibly introverted, so I’m more comfortable being by myself in my bedroom with a book than going out on the town. Considering these facts, I do understand the hesitance to not want me to go, but I’ll still complain wildly when my younger brother leaves the house at all hours of the day and night, at times not returning home, without ever so much as being asked where he is going, who with, when he’ll be back, etc. But this time, the word no wasn’t going to stop me, I was on my mission and I can’t explain how much happier I am today because of it.

February 14th, 2014, was not only one of my best days because I got to see Kings of Leon live (from merely feet away, in VIP seating that I couldn’t really afford on a graduate student’s budget), it’s because I proved a lot of people wrong about me. I might be introverted, and I still like to spend more time alone than out with others, but I showed that when I really want to do something, I’m going to do it. This has translated into a lot of areas in my life. The past year was my most successful academically and professionally, though one of the toughest in my family life. I graduated with my Master’s degree, wrote a thesis that received distinction from a panel of esteemed professors, and gained teaching jobs at three different colleges (two community colleges in the fall, now the university I previously attended), all things of which are incredibly impressive to those around me, and of course most importantly, to myself.

This year, I’ll be celebrating my one year anniversary as my best self by keeping it a little more low-key. No crazy outings all alone to New York City, and instead I’ll spend most of my day at home, with the person I love the most. (Hint: it’s me. And maybe my dog, too.) Cozy clothes, a face mask, some writing, and while I’ll be doing a lot of work for the coming week, it’s the kind of work that I always knew that I wanted to do. At the end of the night, maybe I’ll even throw on some Kings of Leon and try to recreate the feeling of independence and achievement that I first truly felt when I danced my heart out while surrounded by complete strangers one year ago today.

Oh, and p.s., I ate that cookie the second after I snapped the photo!

0 comments:

Post a Comment